Bluefield MAP (Millennial Ambassador Program)
The City of Bluefield’s Department of Community & Economic Development (CED) wants to put “Bluefield on the MAP.” MAP in this case stands for Millennial Ambassador Program. The City has developed entrepreneurial programs like “Meet the Millennials” and now wants to engage millennials in the marketing of the City and region. One of the most powerful ways to market the City and region is through the internet and social media. The program will solicit the help of millennials to tell the City’s story. Members of MAP will share social media content generated by the CED with their network and members will be encouraged to generate their own content showcasing the positive things in the City and region. They will use hashtags to help tell the story which include:
#MyBluefield #BluefieldWV #BluefieldOnTheMAP
They will also link their posts to the CED social media accounts and website using:
Example Post: Just watched a great high school baseball game at Bowen Field! Can’t wait for the next one! #MyBluefield @bluefieldced www.mybluefield.org
The program will be used to market upcoming events, stories and experiences related to shopping, hiking, doing business, finding a home, or just spending time here. All ambassadors will be listed on the www.mybluefield.org web site and are eligible to win contests like Digital Ambassador of the Month.
Guidelines for Digital Ambassadors
- Ambassadors agree to share positive posts about the City, along with marketing upcoming events. Some of these will be provided by the City by email and/or social media, and Ambassadors are encouraged to post their own original content.
- Ambassadors agree that personal political posts and negative opinions will not be shared with Bluefield’s hashtags and/or links.
- Ambassadors agree that derogatory comments and/or bad language on social media using our hashtags and/or links may result in revocation of ambassador status.
Goals for Digital Ambassadors
- Assist the City’s Department of Community & Economic Development in marketing the entrepreneurial opportunities in the City tied to the Commercialization Station and other initiatives.
- Enhance the City’s online presence and communication to the digital world in which we live.
- Engage millennials in the activities of the City.
- Make millennials aware of business and other opportunities like the “Meet the Millennials” Program.
- Encourage other millennials and non-millennials to get involved in the Digital Ambassador Program to market the City and raise public awareness about opportunities.
- Create a network between the schools, colleges, businesses and residents in the region.
To submit an application, please visit the following link: https://form.jotform.us/70993906484167
Social Media Statistics According to Hubspot.com
- 72% of adult internet users use Facebook. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- Facebook has 1.13 billion daily active users. (Statista, 2016)
- 28% of adult internet users use Instagram. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- Instagram has 500 million monthly active users. (Statista, 2016)
- 25% of adult internet users use LinkedIn. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- LinkedIn has 450 million members. (VentureBeat, 2016)
- Snapchat has 150 million daily active users. (Statista, 2016)
- 52% of Snapchat users are under the age of 25. (Statista, 2016)
- Pinterest has 100 million monthly active users. (The New York Times, 2015)
- 71% of Pinterest’s users are women. (Search Engine Land, 2015)
- Visual Content
- Visual content is 40X more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content. (Buffer, 2014)
- Articles with an image once every 75-100 words got double the number of social shares than articles with fewer images. (Buzzsumo, 2015)
- Researchers found that colored visuals increase people’s willingness to read a piece of content by 80%. (Xerox, 2014)
- Research has shown that when people hear information, they are likely to remember only 10% of that information three days later. However, if a relevant image is paired with that same information, people retained 65% of the information three days later. (LifeLearn, 2015)